Friday, January 18, 2013


Quote of the Day:   "Surprise is the greatest gift which life can grant us." -- Boris Pasternak

When we first moved here, eight years ago, we bought a small television just so we could watch DVD's which were our only entertainment.  Some urged us to buy a satellite dish but they were large, ugly, and shouted to the neighbors that you had a television (and other stuff worth stealing), so we didn't buy one.  About three years ago, they came out with small satellite dishes that no one could see from the ground.  They were also cheap, so when one of our sons offered to set us up, we agreed.  Now we don't get many stations that are even in English, but we do get National Geographic, Discovery, and BBC stations in English.  Now, I know that I have said before that I believed that God sends thank you notes.  I am about to prove it.  Last year, our satellite network started carrying ESPN.  Oh, not the ESPN that you are used to but the one that carries cricket matches and Italian soccer games.  Still, it was in English which was nice.  Then this year, they added NFL football.  Not only the games that ESPN aired but second day replays of games carried by CBS and NBC.  Yes, you guessed.  They carry the Super Bowl--live.  I have to get up at 4:00 A.M. if I want to watch the pre-game stuff (and I do) but it is just a small sacrifice.  I have been a big fan of professional football since I lived in Midland, Texas, in the '60's where Eddie LeBaron lived.  Who is Eddie LeBaron?  Just the first quarterback ever of the Dallas Cowboys when they were born.  He alternated with a kid just out of SMU named Dandy Don Meredith.  I didn't see any football games for my first six years here--and now--the Super Bowl.  Thank you, God.


Post a Comment