Saturday, January 12, 2013


Quote of the Day:   “No one gets a free pass at life.” -- My father, Frank Wiggins

A couple of months ago, I fell while in the manager's office in the bank and crashed through a glass wall.  I wasn't cut, nor was anyone else, but I did crack my tailbone on the frame of the wall when I sat down on it.  The doctors were all very sympathetic.  My tailbone was broken, but there is nothing to do.  It will take a long time to heal.  There will be a fair amount of pain.  Okay, I accept that, but it is still painful two months later, so I sought a second opinion from an American doctor.  He said to get used to the pain for several more months and told me that sometimes the pain never goes away--especially in elderly patients.  I think he was including me in that "elderly" group.  As Gilda Radner (who died of cancer) used to say, "It's always something."  It doesn't hurt when I am walking or sleeping, so that's a blessing.  In the meantime, I just have one more thing to add the list of stuff that causes pain.  I'm sure there are people out there who are my age who are not in any pain, but around here, if you reach my age you either hurt somewhere or you are dead.  I will take "hurt somewhere" any day over the alternative because I still have much to do.  If I ever start to feel sorry for myself, I have a number of family members and friends who suffer much more than I do and never complain about it.  My father had many aches and pains yet lived to almost 90 and would have made it had he not contracted leukemia which killed him.  I hope to live another twenty years at least, so I will make peace with my pain and will no longer speak of it.  When I was younger, I used to carry around a First-Aid kit as a joke because it was empty except for a copy of Ralph Sockman's book "The Meaning of Suffering."  Now, I wish I had that book.   
Post a Comment