Thursday, January 17, 2013


Quote of the Day:   Christ said, "And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd. "  John 10: 16

We seem to have Charlini's school year under control with promises from the school that we will see good improvement in just two or three months.  That's a good thing.  Moving to another topic, we have a man named Shaban working for us who has been with us since 2003.  He drives for us, takes care of the car, is an all-purpose handyman, overseer and foreman of building projects, builds and delivers biosand filters, and helps us with all our governmental interactions as well as interprets for us.  He has saved my life more than once getting me to emergency surgery or acquiring life saving medication.  He has helped when Karen was sick and when John was sick.  He has arranged transportation for almost every group that has ever come here.  He always knows a guy that knows a guy that can get us what we want or need.  There is probably no single individual in Tanzania who has done more to help, build, and expand our mission here than he has.  What you may find amazing is that he is a Muslim.  He doesn't pray five times a day, but he does observe Ramadan by fasting and wearing his Muslim clothes on holy days.  One night, many years ago, he and I were sitting around a campfire in the Serengeti.  I asked him why he, as a Muslim, was doing so much to help me and the other Christians here.  He pointed out a nearby tree and told me that the tree was God.  He was one branch and I was another, but we were both part of and integrally connected to the same tree, so why was I concerned?  He has moved his family here to Bunda (wife and one son, Hemedi).  His favorite music is Christian gospel and his five-year-old son (see picture at right) is going to a Catholic school (the same one as Charlini).  Just one of the many reasons I love this country.

Post a Comment