Friday, January 25, 2013


Quote of the Day:  “Boys are beyond the range of anybody's sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years.” ― James Thurber

Amos is one of our security guards.  He has been with us for seven years and does all our thatching as well.  He came to me a few days ago with tears in his eyes which is very unusual for Tanzanian men who avoid tears at all costs.  I asked him what was wrong and he told me his two sons had been sent home from school for not having paid their school fees.  The two boys fees only came to about $50 a year for both of them, so I pulled out the money and gave it to him.  He said to take it out of his pay, but I told him it was a gift.  The boys themselves came by the next day to thank me and their smiles said it all.  They were back today to tell me that they wanted to work very hard and make me proud of them, but they needed additional tutoring every day that cost 10,000 Tsh a month or about $ 7.00 U.S.  They were really embarrassed about asking for the money, but they were so sincere about wanting to do well, I quickly gave them the money to pay for their tutoring which they call "tuition" here.  Sometimes the best investment you can make is in people and education.  I am already proud of these boys.  They call me "Baba Africa" and I let them.  Remember them in your prayers.

Post a Comment