Sunday, November 4, 2012


Quote of the Day:  “When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Not one of the three of us, John, Karen, or myself, feels like we have done enough or are doing enough.  I think that is true of almost every sincere missionary or person who truly cares about others.  I remember in the final scene of  "Schnidler's List," Oskar Schnidler sees his wedding ring and realizes that if he had sold that, he could have saved even more lives.  It's that way with each of us who not only see the plight and suffering of others but try to do something about it as well.  In the end we must content ourselves with doing what we can.  I can think of no better way to explain this than to quote from an essay by Loren Eiseley called "The Star Thrower."  

“While wandering a deserted beach at dawn, stagnant in my work, I saw a man in the distance bending and throwing as he walked the endless stretch toward me. As he came near, I could see that he was throwing starfish, abandoned on the sand by the tide, back into the sea. When he was close enough I asked him why he was working so hard at this strange task. He said that the sun would dry the starfish and they would die. I said to him that I thought he was foolish. there were thousands of starfish on miles and miles of beach. One man alone could never make a difference. He smiled as he picked up the next starfish. Hurling it far into the sea he said, "It makes a difference for this one." I abandoned my writing and spent the morning throwing starfish.” 

May we all spend our mornings throwing starfish.  God bless you who make a difference to just one.
Post a Comment