Friday, October 19, 2012


Quote of the Day:  The strength and power of a country depends absolutely on the quantity of good men and women in it.  -- John Ruskin 

One of the things on which we have always commented was the number of truly good people in this country.  They are everywhere, of course, from everyday heroes in times of disaster to the guy who returned my son's cell phone when he found it in a New York taxi cab.  We always notice the good people which is a shame.  The reason it is a shame is that that means that good behavior is not the norm but the exception, yet that shouldn't stop any of us from doing the right thing, returning the money when it isn't ours, and being a good example for our sons and daughters.  I have used a little tailor shop here in Bunda for the past eight years.  It is a dusty little place with four men and three sewing machines, but they do really good work and are quite reasonable with their prices.  Lately, I asked them to make me a suit to wear back to the U.S. next April, and one of the guys had to go to Uganda to get the fabric, but he went.  Today, when I went in to give them new measurements (I am still losing weight and have lost another two inches off my waist in the last month), one of the men turned from his sewing machine and asked me to just sit down and talk.  "You're always in a hurry and rush off," he complained.  So, I sat and we talked.  When I got up to leave, he told me he was going to make me another shirt and pants outfit that would be truly African.  I explained that I couldn't afford it right now.  He said it wasn't for sale--it was a gift from him to me for sitting and talking to him.  Wow!  He doesn't have much and so this is quite a gift.  I thanked him and walked away, smiling.  I think I just got another "thank you" note from God.
Post a Comment