Sunday, October 28, 2012


Quote of the Day:  "Grow old along with me!--The best is yet to be,--The last of life, for which the first was made."  ROBERT BROWNING

There are times, especially during the rainy season, when I feel really old.  It has to do with aches and pains that intensify in the cold and rain.  My days of running and jumping are long gone and there are times when I really miss those days.  However, now that I am older, I no longer am expected to run and jump--there are others that will do that.  We live in a culture here where the average life span is in the forties.  A Tanzanian told me that for here, if you reach fifty years of age, you should thank God a lot.  Well, fifty was almost two decades ago, and I had forgotten to thank God a lot, but when I look at my life and see what all has happened since my fiftieth birthday on November 14, 1994, I am truly amazed for almost everything I have done and dreamed of for which I am proud, for which I want to be remembered has happened since that day.  It's almost as if I hadn't truly lived up until then, but boy have I lived since then.  My friend, Pete O'Neal, has done much in this life and is famous for most of it, but if you ask him, he will tell you that his life began when he was 67 years old and started an orphanage at his place in Arusha.  That was just five years ago, but it has changed his life and the way he sees life.  I know exactly how he feels.  We don't know why we live as long as we do and why some get taken so early, but I thank God a lot now and every day because I know it is for this time in my life that I have lived up until now.  At last, I get it, and I am so very, very grateful.  Perhaps if I had trusted God sooner but that's just a silly "what if" that isn't important now.  Now, I know what I'm to do and where I'm to do it and with whom I will do it, and I am thankful, eternally, completely thankful.
Post a Comment