Saturday, October 27, 2012


Quote of the Day:   Children are God's gift to you, as you are to them.  ~ Desmond Tutu

Yesterday, I was feeling pretty down because of a stupid mistake I had made.  Today, a five-year-old orphan girl came to me to ask me to teach her how to make a little hand-held helicopter fly.  It wasn't a real helicopter, just a small propeller on a stick.  Everybody has seen these and played with them from time to time.  You just put it in your hands, rub them together, and the little thing takes off, but if you have never seen it done, it is a mystery indeed.  It took me about three minutes to teach her how to do it herself.  She is now outside seeing if she can get it stuck up in a tree that I will then have to get down.  I can hear her giggles as each time she makes it fly, it tickles her all over again.  Yesterday, I felt as if I could do nothing right.  Today, I feel like I can do nothing wrong.  A small child can give a gift far beyond her ability to imagine or understand it.  It's why Christ commanded us to always take care of the orphans.  If, as Wordsworth claims, "the child is the father of the man,"  we need to be reminded of this at least once a day.  I thank God for the gift a small, orphan girl gave me today.
Post a Comment