Sunday, September 23, 2012


Quote of the Day:  When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -- Jimi Hendrix 

We had a nationwide power outage for twelve hours last night.  It began at ten o'clock at night and continued until ten o'clock this morning.  Internet was out all that time as well.  Tanzania is bigger and more populous than the entire state of Texas.  Imagine all of Texas going dark for twelve hours.  We'd be reading about it for weeks and right now there would be a movie in production called "The Night the Lone Star Went Dark."  For us, it was just life as usual.  I got up often during the night though because I thought the power outage just affected our area of Bunda, in fact, just our mission.  Why did I think this?  It was because my neighbor's security lights were shining bright all night long, and I can see them from our bedroom window.  When Shaban told us today that it was all of Tanzania, I was astonished.  I told them that Bwana Jackson's lights were on all night, and Shaban looked at me, shook his head, and quietly explained that Bwana Jackson had put in solar lights thanks to our example.  Solar!  Of course.  As usual, I was thinking only of earthly things.  His power came from a higher source.  That's us--don't you see?  We think all of our power comes from this earth when none of it does.  All of our real power comes from above and is just waiting for us to use it.  God sent His only Son to die for us and demonstrate what God's love for us is like.  Jesus showed us by His life and His words that the power is God's and God's alone.  Thanks, Bwana Jackson for reminding me of that.
Post a Comment