Sunday, September 9, 2012


Quote of the Day:   No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.  ~  Aesop

I am fascinated by humankind's ability to build huge structures, to span vast distances with bridges, and to make giant airplanes fly.  It seems so impossible that we, who are so small, can build and fly things that are so large and immense.  Yet it is not the tallest building, or the longest bridge, or biggest airplane that touches me in ways that are warm, permanent, and healing.  No, it is the tiniest of touches, the hint of a smile, a brief look of joy, and/or just one word of encouragement that changes my life.  When my heart stopped in 1996, I was left alone in the emergency room after they had gotten me stabilized.  It was four in the morning, my wife had gone off to fill out insurance forms and another man was having a heart attack, so all the emergency doctors and nurses were working to save his life.  I was alone and cold (emergency rooms seem to be in freezers) when a woman I did not know appeared at my side.  She told me that she was sure I wouldn't remember her, but she saw my name on the lab tests that had just come into her lab there at the hospital.  She remembered that I had been the judge of her third grade daughter's poetry contest, so she came to see if I was all right.  She touched my arm as she spoke to me, and while I don't remember her name, I will never forget the warmth of that human touch.  It didn't last long--it didn't need to.  We generally have no idea how much warmth, healing, and love that we can convey with just the touch of a hand on an arm.  It was indeed a small act of kindness.  I will never forget it.  You have the power to touch.  Use it.  Let others see God through you.
Post a Comment