Sunday, September 2, 2012


Quote of the Day:  “It is to the Cross that the Christian is challenged to follow his Master: no path of redemption can make a detour around it.”  ― Hans Urs von Balthasar

We have a prayer hut in our mission that has a number of crosses built into the walls.  Each has a story.  One always hung on the kitchen wall of a favorite aunt, two were made by members of Grace UMC, Rogers, and one was made by a man from Dry Fork, Arkansas.  Some have the body of Christ on them, some are empty, and some have stories within them.  A cross from El Salvador has the nativity story in bright colors and a cross from Greece has the baptism of Jesus depicted on it.  I have a 300-year-old Ethiopian cross that my wife gave me many, many years ago that I still wear.  I was wearing it in 1990 when we went to dinner with a Lutheran pastor from Canada and his wife.  After looking at the cross, he asked me, "Is there a story behind that cross?"  I said, "Yes, 2,000 years ago there was a carpenter from Nazareth . . ." he got red and I laughed and then told him about Ethiopian crosses.  But my joke wasn't really a joke.  All crosses remind us of that man from Galilee that changed the world and still has the power to change your life.  I look at the crosses in the prayer hut and remember that He died for me, that He forgave even my sins, and that because of His voluntary, sacrificial death--I can live in Him and live forever.  Yes, there is a story in that cross, for me, for you, and for generations yet unborn.  
Post a Comment