Tuesday, September 11, 2012


Quote of the Day:   Having a place to go - is a home.  Having someone to love - is a family.  Having both - is a blessing.  ~ Donna Hedges

Today is my eldest son's birthday.  He is 45 years old today, so for Karen, that means he has become her brother and not her son.  I will never forget the day he was born, the first time I held him, and moments like that for the next 45 years.  He has been a joy to raise and to live with.  Now, he lives in New York City and we live in Africa, yet we are still close.  Thanks to the internet, computers, and cell phones, we stay in touch frequently and can see pictures and video any time.  He and his wife, Brenda, have been here to Bunda, Tanzania, twice and are planning to come again in a few months.  I truly never thought I would live long enough to have a 45 year old son, but I have and am happy about that.  Karen and I are the parents of three sons (no daughters) and are grateful for each and every one.  As an old Bedouin I knew once said, "I love the youngest till he's old, the sickest till he's well, and the farthest away till he's home."  We love all of our sons, but only one shares his birthday with a national tragedy.  He can hardly celebrate in public in New York, so this always means a quiet party at his home.  He once asked me if you could legally change your birthday.  Alas, no, but he has learned to cope with it.  We are very proud of him and his wife.  Happy Birthday, son.  Have a wonderful, quiet celebration this evening and know that we are there with you.
Post a Comment