Tuesday, August 14, 2012


Quote of the Day:   You can't make history stand still.  Today is tomorrow's past.  If you live for God, you live forever.   Me

I miss the Olympics, I miss the drama, the excitement, and the quantity of events.  There was so much to see and for so many hours a day.  I can't imagine what today must be like for someone who prepared and trained for years, and whose event is now past and whether you won the gold or finished last--it is gone.  Every moment of our lives has been prepared for and others have trained to get us to this point.  None of us is where we are without the help of parents, teachers, coaches, pastors, families, friends, and strangers who have helped us along our way.  There is never a point at which we can say, "There, I did it all myself" because that is never true, we have always had help.  The trick is to be aware of that and to seek our help from those best able to give it; from God, from the church, from Christians, from everyone who loves us and wants the best for us.  My trouble was that I turned my back on those for too many years, but happily, now know where my true treasure lies.  My treasure is not in the fleeting moments of a gold medal ceremony, but it is in knowing in whom to put my trust, where to turn when things get rough.  If you know that, you know enough to survive and triumph over whatever life throws at you.  For me, a gold medal is worth as much as the diploma was to the scarecrow in "The Wizard of Oz".  I don't need a piece of paper to tell me what I know in my heart.  I am a child of God.  I am part of something wonderful and much bigger than myself, and if day-to-day life doesn't seem exciting enough, then I am not looking in the right places. 
Post a Comment