Wednesday, August 1, 2012


Quote of the Day:  “I sustain myself with the love of family.” ― Maya Angelou


A number of years ago, if you had asked me if I could live with my wife and one son twenty-four hours a day in a small house--I would have screamed and run away.  If you had asked me if I could live with two of my sons and all my grandchildren eight timezones and two continents away--I would have screamed and run away.  Yet, here I am doing both of those things and doing quite well with them.  Karen, John, and I get along very well together and in fact need each other very much.  I'm not happy about being so far away from the rest of my family but because of new technology, we can talk and see each other almost every day if we want--so we are not so far away after all.  It's not ideal, but it is doable.  I couldn't live without physical and emotional support from my family--they are that important, and thanks to that new technology, I've been able to include my sister, brothers, aunts, and cousins as well.  We all need family no matter how much we insist that we don't or that they drive us crazy.  Now, here in Africa, our family has expanded beyond all borders and includes people from 120 tribes speaking all kinds of languages.  It's how God works.  Through family.  His--and ours.
Post a Comment