Wednesday, August 8, 2012


Quote of the Day:   A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life.  ~Isadora James

One of the things that nagged at me about our decision to move to Africa was the declining health of my parents who were both in their eighties.  I really had nothing to worry about as my sister, Penny, had quit her job in Houston, Texas, to move to little Heber Springs, Arkansas, to help care for my folks.  Penny took a job as a middle school math teacher.  Now, I have long believed that all middle school teachers have a special place in heaven, but to be a middle school math teacher?  I think St. Peter must welcome each of those personally.  So, thanks to the devotion of my sister, I was free to follow God's call to Tanzania and to live and serve there.  Our father died before I left, in 2003.  After his death, my sister sold her house and my mother sold hers and they bought a new one and moved in together.  Penny has been caring for her ever since.  Mom is now in a nursing home confused most of the time but usually knows that Penny is her daughter.  It should come as no surprise then that the Methodist Church in the village of Karikakari has named its new preschool after my sister.  It is called the St. Penny Wiggins Academy and has thirty-six little ones attending every day.  We are very proud that Penny has been honored this way--even if it means she has to behave herself now.  
Post a Comment