Tuesday, August 21, 2012


Quote of the Day:   Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts.  ~ Charles Dickens

We knew when we came here that our hearts would be broken again and again by the death and poverty we would encounter, and I know of nothing that can be broken over and over and still work, but that's what our hearts are like.  Our security guard, Amos, who lost a four year old daughter just two years ago, rushed to the hospital today to try to save another of his little ones.  This time he was successful.  We have cried and cried over the deaths that have affected those so close to us, and there have been many.  Now I am not exactly made in a "John Wayne" mold.  In fact, I cry at sad billboards.  When I shopped for a card for my wife, I would go to the Hallmark section and read them until one made me cry, and I bought that one.  Still, I have not been prepared for the tears of joy we would shed here.  We cried when Amos came back with the good news.  We cry when we see the children at the gate at 6:30 A.M. wanting in to go to a school that doesn't even start for three more hours.  We cry as much over the happy things here as the sad ones, and this in a culture where you are not supposed to cry--especially if you are a man.  I cried over the body of my friend, Pastor Silas, at his funeral and people would wipe my tears away and tell me not to cry.  I can't help it, I am a man of emotions who wears his heart on his sleeve, and I have no shame about it.  God gave us the ability to cry and the reasons as well.  If you are a part of life, you cry over the sad and happy bits.  I wonder about the souls of those who never cry and pray my heart is never so hard as not to spill tears of pain and joy.  Mr. Dickens says it very well in the above quote, eh?  There are pictures you can access by clicking on the photo at right that illustrate the sadness and the joy here.
Post a Comment