Wednesday, August 22, 2012


Quote of the Day:   Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark. - Rabindranath Tagore

We have a bird here that you don't have there.  It is the African Pied Wagtail, and it is quite a little bird.  God had to have sent this particular species to this particular place.  This bird is a very early bird and has absolutely no fear of humans.  In fact, it loves to be near the houses and places where humans gather.  I believe this bird is on drugs or is into eating narcotic seeds somewhere.  You see, this little bird starts singing and dancing (wagtail, remember) the second light begins to dawn on our part of Africa.  It sings the happiest song I have ever heard from a bird, and, after a quite long song, it always ends with a loud wolf whistle--sort of a "happy, happy, happy, oh hubba hubba!"  The other day I had been very sick and had only gotten a couple of hours sleep.  As the sun was just beginning to rise behind the hills that separate us from the Serengeti, I was standing sort of propped up against the window to get what little cool breeze was blowing in when a Wagtail began singing about two feet from my head.  It's like God sent it just to me to tell me to stop feeling sorry for myself and to start doing what I needed to do to alleviate my pain.  At first, the bird's unbelievable cheerfulness made me angry--didn't it know I was sick?  Then I realized that it did know I was sick and that was why it was singing--just to me.  God had sent me a Hallmark card in the way that God does.  It said, "Get well soon" through the song of the African Pied Wagtail, one of God's happiest creatures.  It worked.
Post a Comment