Wednesday, July 11, 2012


Quote of the Day:   “Everybody laughs the same in every language because laughter is a universal connection. ” -  Yakov Smirnoff 


I don't think I've ever mentioned how much we laugh here, and I don't mean just us.  Everyone laughs in Tanzania.  If you hear harsh words or raised voices, just wait a little and then you hear laughter.  This is an oral culture and things that are funny get told and retold.  Juliana was opening a Diet Pepsi for me the other day, and it gave a loud pop.  Lusi must have jumped a foot straight up and everyone laughed.  Then Lusi went around to all the staff retelling the joke on herself and demonstrating her jump.  We could hear laughter from all over the place.  We love teasing here and tease almost everyone--except soldiers with guns, although John did once offer to buy a soldier's gun (he wanted $3,000 so that didn't happen).  We do tease and joke even at police stops on the road.  Every morning and evening we are awakened and evening is announced by the sounds of children's laughter.  Oh, and when we laugh together, we have to touch.  We slap hands or shoulders and share life that way.  When the doctor was working on me, he said it wouldn't hurt much.  I said that sure it wouldn't hurt him cause he was doing it to me.  All the nurses and other doctors (and mine) laughed.  When I go back, I hear that story again.  Everyone should laugh more--at the right things.  It makes life, especially where life is very hard, much easier to live with.  Try it, you'll like it.
Post a Comment