Friday, June 22, 2012


Quote of the Day:   The more you have, the more you are occupied, the less you give. But the less you have the more free you are.  - Mother Teresa


Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water - - -  The doctor came last night and removed all of his equipment from me, and I was very happy.  This morning, very early, Karen, John, and Shaban left to spend the day in Mwanza leaving me alone with no car which was fine for me until the pain hit again.  I called the doctor, but he was in Musoma and told me to get out to the hospital (more like a MASH unit).  Another doctor met me there as I got out of the taxi and helped me up into surgery.  He knew exactly what to do and did it replacing everything that had been removed.  I screamed a bit (it did hurt with no anesthesia) and apologized later saying that Wazungu (non-Africans) were weak.  The doctor said that pain was pain no matter where you were from and I had screamed much less than the last African to have the same thing done.  The taxi took me back home to wait for my crew to come home.  If Karen had known, she would have worried and insisted on returning immediately, but there was nothing she could have done and I am fine--well, out of pain anyway.  It looks like two weeks now instead of five days and then we reevaluate.  The doctor will come by tonight when he gets back in town and we will reassess the situation.  Nothing stays the same and every day brings new shida (problems) to deal with--and so we do, guided by the Holy Spirit.
Post a Comment