Sunday, February 26, 2012

Discussing the Lord's Prayer or the "Our Father" depending on your faith, it jumped out that every pronoun in the prayer is plural.  There is no "I" in "team" and there is no "me or my" in the Lord's Prayer.  We pray as members of the one family of God under the one Father.  The first two words establish that it is "we" who are praying to "our Father" and establishes that we are the children of the one God.  Too many times, our prayers have too many "me's" and "my's" in them.  We are all in this together and responsible for one another.  We share our joys and our pains and the former is made better and the latter is made easier by this sharing.  Of course, the real kicker is that as soon as Jesus finished, He reminded all who were listening (or reading) that if "we" do not forgive, neither will God forgive "us".  Forgiveness is not an optional extra for Christians, it is foundational behavior for all who truly serve.  I didn't make this up or write it--look it up in Matthew and Luke.  If your Bible is a red-letter edition, you will notice that all of these words are in red.  I believe that what Christ Jesus spoke is serious and needs to be taken seriously.  We here ask God's blessings on all of you and pray that you all remember you are family.
Post a Comment