Sunday, June 20, 2010

A long time ago, I asked Dr. Ben Kimpel, who I still believe was the most intelligent man I ever knew, what he thought was the most difficult job in the world. He didn't pause or hesitate--he said, "Being a good father." He was right. It is a 24-hour-a-day job that lasts from conception to your own death--and beyond. Few of us have or had good role models as fathers, if you did or do, you are blessed indeed. We have to learn on the job. We make many mistakes, but if we try hard enough, we can do a pretty fair job of it. I know that I could have been a better father and could still be a better father. But the fact that I know this keeps me trying to improve. I hope I have given my three sons (pictures at right) the guidance and role model they need to make a real difference in this world. My own father had many faults, but he also gave me many, many wonderful things to emulate. My wife's father was also a role model for me, as was my Uncle Tommy. Our Father gives us the perfect example. The best we can do is try to follow His teachings. I hope I do. I hope I continue to be the father my sons need me to be. It's a job with many pains and incredible joys, but I pray that God continues to guide me in His path. Being a good father is the most difficult job in the world. God bless all fathers who work at it.
Post a Comment