Friday, October 9, 2009

Yesterday, I had another meeting trying to start a kind of "hot line" for abused children here and waited two hours for the Zain (cell phone company) rep to show up. When she did, she thought I wanted to buy phones, so I will be seeing someone in Mwanza the next time I go down there. Miscommunication happens here all the time, even if all parties speak the same language. Sometimes, I miss the U.S. where everyone speaks English and there are never any miscommunication problems. Oh, there are? Often we speak from our heads but the meaning is in our hearts and vice versa. When heart and mind speak as one, the message is usually very precise. One of my favorite quotes, attributed to Mark Twain, is "It is not the parts of the Bible I don't understand that keep me up at night--it is the parts that are crystal clear." I guess sometimes we just don't want to hear about malaria, AIDS, poverty, poor sanitation, etc. because then we would have to do something about them. You don't have to do much, though, just one little act of kindness goes a very long way. Another Mark Twain quote: "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Try it! Just do one small act of kindness and see it doesn't brighten your day. Okay, just one last quote, Henry David Thoreau said, "If you can improve the quality of the day, you have achieved the highest of the arts." Just one little act of kindness, like giving a cup of water to a thirsty child can do that. Jesus said to do that. I do pay attention to what He said. Thank you for your continuing prayers and support. We are grateful for every cup of water we receive.
Post a Comment