Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Feeling a little down today. We get so many requests for financial help that we cannot begin to help even a tenth of them. I feel like a momma bird with one small beetle in her beak and seven hungry chicks screaming for it. None of the requests are trivial--they are all for basic survival items or funeral expenses or education. I would like to grant every single one, but I have to make the hard decisions on who gets what money and what for. I can't give each one a little because you can't have half a bicycle or a partial coffin ($20 for children, $40 for adults). This is the end of the month for us because we get our social security on the 20th of each month, so this is when I have to say "no" the most. It does not make me happy. No one complains, they are all so sweet about it--that's what hurts the most, I think. In the meantime, I have to find a surgeon to cut out two tumors in my right leg that are growing and painful. Maybe next week, I can fund a trip to Mwanza to find the surgeon from my operation two years ago. As Gilda Radner said in her book "It's Always Something", everybody's got at least one serious complaint, so just shut up. This is me shutting up.
Post a Comment