Friday, June 5, 2009

As my father used to say, "No storm lasts forever."  Things are somewhat better today.  My fever is under control and the power came back on at 3:00 pm and we had internet.  Karen's illness was something she ate and she felt good enough to go out and paint in her school today.  Today is our 44th anniversary, so like all husbands, I wrote my wife a poem which she insists I include.  You do NOT have to read beyond this point.  You do so at your own peril because poetry is the one literary genre that is the easiest to write poorly and the hardest to write well.  To quote Hemingway, "It is a poor effort, but my own."

A Poem for Karen
On the Occasion of our 44th Anniversary

Our journey together is not yet over, but so far past begun
Still brightly, hotly lit by a tropical African sun
Living life so haply joined lo many, many years ago
Travelin' through twined worlds of joy and pain and woe
Hand in hand we turn our hearts to other's living needs
Limping, hurting we offer these our simple, heartfelt deeds
Of teaching, love, and hope for life beyond the touch
Of sickness, AIDS, and death's embrace--if it is such
There is no other with whom I'd rather share
We make a rather comic/comely pair
If you see yourself through eyes of mine
And I see me through eyes of thine

Post a Comment