Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bishop Monto came by today and we planned our trip in June to be inducted and talked about changes in the articles of religion to make the Methodist Church in Tanzania more Wesleyan and less restrictive on new members.  You can have more than one wife here, so we have made it a policy that men with multiple wives are welcome in the church as members, but the leaders in the church: pastors, lay pastors, deacons, and bishops must have one wife only.  Karen thought that was a good idea.  I don't know of anyone with more than two wives and if you have more than one you have to have a house for each and take financial responsibility for both households.  No one brings more than one wife to church as far as I know.  It is a little surreal for me to be able to influence the theology of a whole denomination, even if the denomination only has about a thousand members at present.  Still it is humbling and a little scary to be in this position.  I'm not always sure God knows what He is doing putting me in the middle of all this, but I will just try to bloom wherever I am planted.
Post a Comment