Wednesday, September 10, 2008

We have no internet, so I can't post pictures yet.  This is using my cell phone.

This is the official description of the Mwenge Wa Uhuru: "The Uhuru Torch symbolises freedom and light. It was first lit on top of mount Kilimanjaro (5,895m) in 1961, symbolically to shine across the country and across the borders to bring hope where there is despair, love where there is enmity and respect where there is hatred. Yearly there is the Uhuru Torch race, starting from different prominent places in the Republic."  There was no racing where we were: we stood in a line and the torch was brought to us, put in our hands for a couple of seconds and then handed to the next one in line. There is no picture of me with the torch in my hands because they put John in line next to me, handed him the torch, then me, and by the time he got his camera up--the torch was seven people down the line, but we do have pictures of the torch, the crowds, and the marker where it finished its travel in Bunda.  There is also a picture of me by the marker in my new duds.  Karen was busy today getting ready for tomorrow's celebration at the library.  Mr. Masele has been working very hard to help us make this happen.
Post a Comment