Wednesday, September 3, 2008

There is a reason that there have been no posts for a few days.  I am a pretty big man, but a little tiny mosquito laid me low.  What started as a mild stomach upset on Sunday turned into a category five, gale force bout of Plasmodium falciparum malaria.  There are several types of malaria and this is next to the worst--with fever spikes to 105, chills, vomiting, diarrhea, and delirium (although Karen says how would anyone know if I was delirious).  It takes a drug cocktail (Artesunate, Pyrimethamine, and Sulfamethoxypyrazine) that has only been on the market for a couple of years and because of Chinese knock-offs, you have to make sure the circular is in the box with a good English translation (if the translation is hinky--so are the drugs).  These particular malaria parasites have developed a resistance to just about all other medicines, but luckily, the stuff I needed (made in Belgium) was available locally.  Juliana, our house mum, got the meds, waited while I took them, and scolded me to get some food in me--and I did, but not much.  As I was lying in pain, Juliana and Lusia came into the room, got on their knees and prayed for me for a good ten minutes.  I am sure their prayers were heard, although Karen and John were both trying to get me to go the hospital for several days, but I kept thinking it would get better--it got worse instead.  By the time I was ready to go to the hospital, the vomiting and diarrhea were so bad I couldn't travel.  I am much better now, but of course, it will take one or two months before I am back to full strength.  At least I won't have to worry about getting it while I am in the U.S.
Post a Comment